Re: IML: Edwin's 70 LeBaron

--- Edwin <edja@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Pete Engel,
>
> I was wondering if you know what type or partnumber
> rear axle wheel bearings
> I need ( or company to order) for my 1970 Chrysler
> Imperial Le Baron. Sorry
> but it is not the 2 door hdtp which I described for
> the mailing list.
> Unfortuantly it's a 4-door hdtp with a 440 cu/in.
> And do you know how to remove the bearings from the
> axle incl. retainer
> rings etc?
>
> I hope you can help me!
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Edwin de Bruijn.

Hi Edwin,

If you hit REPLY to a message from Pete Engel, the
message went to all 600 members.  To write to an
individual, you must hit REPLY and then put their
email address into the TO: section in place of the
MAILING-LIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx address.

===

Difference between the 2 and 4 door 1970 Imperial cars
is cosmetic and on the outside so far as I know.  The
mechanical parts should be the same.  They put a 2D
car onto the same chassis that they put the 4D onto.

Therefore the only parts that are most likely unique
to your car (for the most part) should be sheetmetal
behind the doors, side glass, trim around the top at
the back, and maybe the seats and door panels/interior
bits.

Working on the car is a REPAIR, and there's all sorts
of super info on the club website under that button -
you're encouraged to check there.
www.imperialclub.com

Buying PARTS needed during your REPAIR can be made
easier once again by looking at the club website under
the PARTS section, where we've listed every vendor
that we know of, and hopefully enough to allow you to
locate the parts that you need easily.  Bearings
should not be a problem and should not be very
expensive.

Also:  We have not yet posted the 1966-1972 FEILD
SERVICE MANUALs on the website.  This is the service
book that covers everything on your car that is
invaluable if you are going to do or have any work
done on your car.

These manuals should cost no more than $60.  The club
has almost every service manual for every year already
scanned, and we are in the process of working on them.
 1970 has not been claimed and still needs help if you
have spare time and want to get online access to it
sooner.

I suspect that the general pricipals on the rear-end
are covered in the 1973 manual that is posted, and
that would be a great place to start reading/looking
at diagrams.  Also of interest would be the MASTER
TECHNICIANS SERVICE CONFERENCE, an alternate training
system for mechanics put out by Chrysler, since there
are booklets on rear-ends and rear axles that are
realy super for learning how to do this work (much
better than FSM, I think).

To access these, go to LITERATURE on
www.imperialclub.com and look at the REPAIR LITERATURE
for that sort of thing as well as part numbers (if we
have them for your car).

The website recently exceeded 25,000 pages.  There is
a  LOT to see there, and this is an excellent archive.
 If you want to navigate it more efficiently, and
we've tried hard to make it easy to navigate, you can
use the   ARCHIVE SEARCH button.  You can type things
in and get responses, but with so much stuff across so
many years, it sometimes isn't as fast as just knowing
where things are on the site.

Welcome aboard and don't be bashful about asking
specific questions about your rear end.  You will get
farther faster with more detail in your questions.

-Kenyon

PS - Don't be shy about owning a 4-door!  Many, many
others here do too!  Since they only made 250 1970
2-doors, there aren't many people that can claim to
own one, much less have seen one in person - that's
why folks (me anyway) get excited to hear about
someone that might have one.  These are luxury cars,
and 4-doors are the standard on American luxury cars
of the 20th centrury.  Luxury is having 3 other doors
for your buddies and family and not having to share
yours!!!

Kenyon Wills