From: R.vdes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 8 May 2007 5:36 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 1964 Heat  Control Valve, also check cable & clamps

Hi Paul,

I have the same problem with my 60, I can't complete shut off the heater :)  In cold weather this is nice, but now with the temperature rising it is getting pretty hot...
I guess I have to look at valve end then?

Or are the 1960 heater valves prone to failure over the years (internal leak) ?

Thanks,

Robert
----- Original Message ----- From: <randalpark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 2:16 PM

Check this thoroughly first. It sounds like you are getting heat and
can't > turn it off. That is usually a control cable problem, not the valve > itself. This is most common on '64 through '66 models at the lever end. > and '60 through '66 at the valve end.

The control cable has clamps at each end, and is adjustable.
Frequently, > the cable slips at one end, or the clamps fall off causing it to have no > effect on opening or closing the valve. When it fails, the valve usually > leaks, which it may very well do once you get it turned off.

The cable also can break off at one end having the same result. You
really > can't tell unless you look into it further. I believe that on your car, > you can view the operation of the valve by moving the lever if you remove > the glove compartment. Then you can shine a light in there and see what > the valve does when you move the lever. If the valve doesn't move, it will > also allow you to determine of the problem is at the valve end or the > lever end. Trouble with my '65 has been at the lever end. That is more > difficult to work on since there is more stuff over there, but it can be > done, carefully.

If that turns out to be the trouble, you can become creative and
replace > the spring clip type clamps with something more substantial. I have seen > combinations of filed off washers, screws, lock nuts, and lock washers > that were very effective. These days, even a strong cable tie might help > keep the original style spring clamp firmly in place.

Paul W.