Cc: <Randalpark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:51 AM
Subject: IML: Problem with exhaust manifold studs...

Hi Paul and the rest of the IML gang,

I need some expert advise with regard to the exhaust manifold studs of my
1960  Imperial.
For 10 days ago I broke the exhaust manifold flange of the left manifold...
I noticed a a roadbump too late and was hitting it with too much speed,
since the whole exhaust system is pretty rigid the impact was given
directly to the cast iron manifold..

With the restult that the flange has broken..
I found myself a reputable cast iron welder that has done the job many
times before so with a little luck I will have my manifold back early next
week.

But now for the real problem: when taking the manifold off two studs were
broken....
Despite of several overnight soaking sessions with penetrating oil!

The number two stud (counting from the radiator) and the last stud are
broken and almost flush with the head.
Ofcourse I can try if the 4 remaining studs and bolts will secure the
manifold but  I simply don't like the idea.

On the otherhand, I either don't like the idea of taking the head off.
And at least the last stud is very difficult (or not..) accessible with
the head in place.
So maybe I should aim for the second stud to come out.

Both studs are almost flushed with the head surface (slightly below
actually).
Is there a safe way to get them out?
Or should I try to secure the manifold with the 4 remaining nuts and see
what happens?

If this doesn't work out, how do I remove those broken studs then?
And where can I buy new studs for my engine?

Ofcourse I can try to drill out the number two studs since I think I can
access this one from the left front wheel area (with the left front wheel
removed ofcourse).

But what if I screw up and the studs doesn't come out, since these studs
are in the cooling fluid area it is important that I don't cause any
leakage.
If I break a drill for e.g. while it is just through the center of the
stud (if I am lucky..) and the broken part gets stuck, cooling fluid will
escape then!!

So should I go for the 4 studs fasting method first?

Any words of whisdom??

Thanks,

Robert
1960 Imperial Crown