Re: IML: 61 Imperial brake drum removal challenge

Re: IML: 61 Imperial brake drum removal challenge

yes the wheel has always spun freely  the brakes work also . I put the wheel back on and now there is allot of play in the wheel . Im going to try  driving on it again . I took some advise and heated up the shank untill it was glowing hit it with a impact and pounded on it with a big sled hammer , still nothing. I am fearful that i will damage the rear end all this pounding

"Sherman D. Taffel" <staffel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When Clark Thomas & I were trying to remove the brake drums on a 62 Imperial
a few years ago, we also had 'a heck of a time'. We had a huge puller and
the drum would seem to 'just bind up'. This was after we 'broke it loose.
Working carefully and thoughtfully we finally got the drum off. What we
found was that the bonded linings had delaminated from the shoe- and
'jammed, and were thus 'twisting' as we apllied 'removal force'.

Just mentioning this as a possible factor. When you drove the car and
braked- did the brakes 'lock' or judder? If so this may be a factor.
Are you able to 'spin the wheel' (spin the drum on the axle)?

Sherman D Taffel
63 Crown
Maryland