Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 8:41 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 60 Imperial, solid state voltage lim Citer

Folks, anyone who is still running 1960 through 1963 models with the original voltage limiter powering the gauges should be interested in this. The originals didn't last 47 years. Chances are the gauge containing the limiter was replaced a number of times, or rebuilt. Low mileage cars lost their gauges when they were around ten years old. Many of these were repaired at the dealer, while some were not.

Even if the original limiter is working fine, it should be by passed with a modern replacement to save the gauges. When they peg, they burn. At first only a little, but still enough to require re calibration if they are to be accurate. If left pegged for any length of time, they will eventually stop functioning altogether, at which point, I don't believe they are repairable.

Original gauges are hard to find in good condition. Add to that the electro luminescent lighting issue, and then the idea of wasting good working and lighting/color matching gauges that work together nicely becomes very foolish.

Paul W.