Re: Fwd: IML: Imperial Cross Ram

Allan, you are correct, for the most part. The Long Rams were performance oriented, but some were for the"Turn Pike" driver. My 60 Plymouth Fury 383 SonoRamicCommando, was a driver.It was very impressive at 45-100mph.10- 12mpg city, 14 highway.The conversion would be interesting on an Imperial. Since the basic design, was to improve the low end torque.Conversion wise, the biggest problem I see, is to find the correct exhaust manifolds.The manifolds had exhaust passages designed to pre-heat the manifold plenum to help cold start-up, as well as support the manifold and carb.We learned that the hard way, when we put long rams on a 64 Dodge Panel truck, and broke the intake manifold flanges.Open the hood on nearly any new car, and the theory lives on.Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: ChiPieAlandPaula@xxxxxxx
Hello All,
 Just a quick note regarding adopting Ram Induction to an Imperial 413.  As I remember - the 300F engine was a lot more than just the"cross ram" intake manifold. It also include a "hotter camshaft" ( my guess is a 276 degree duration )  solid lifters as well as internal modifications. Additionally, I am guessing a dual breaker point distributor was also included. My point is simple. This was designed as a package rather than an add on. I don't know for a fact - but I am assuming that dual 4's would "overcarb" the engine. Without the other mods -  it is doubtful that you could actually realize a true gain in horsepower. Also - the other contributors are absolutely correct - in that a multiple carb engine is difficult to tune.  Thoughts?
                                            Allan from Billings, Montana

See what's free at AOL.com.
--- Begin Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I don't think any came that way, but the dealers were certainly well enough equipped to do it. I bet there were some. If you want to install it, go ahead, but be prepared to see a big drop in your fuel economy. I knew the owner of a 1960 300 F. It took premium fuel and got 9 mpg on the freeway.

Jeff Carter has '61 Convertible with that set up, and I think he can supply the parts, some have been reproduced by him also. I think its big bucks to purchase and not easy to keep in tune.

Paul W.