Re: IML: Gas types

From: "Patricia Pruitt" <pruittghl@xxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: gas types

We are in the throws of working on my '62 Southhampton Crown.  In the
'old' days when we had 50s-60s high compression engines ('56 Plymouth
Fury) that were supposed to use on high octane fuel, we always used
'regular'. We did adjust the timing for that.

 NOW, my query is; can we still use this method or must we buy 'premium'?
I am not familiar with the changes in the composition of today's fuels.
Does anyone out there have the facts on this? We do not use ethanol and
are not likely to do so in the future.  Would like to hear from those in
the know.

Yes, you can retard the timing and get a 413 to run on lower octane fuel. Just how much you have to retard it, and how low the required octane will get depends on lots of factors including the average temperature and atmospheric pressure where you live, and your driving habits.

The downside of retarding the timing is that it costs you power, and the engine runs hotter. These might not matter, depending on your particular circumstances. It might also decrease your mileage.

My '62 was *very* octane picky, it only really ran it's best on a mix of super unleaded and 110 octane leaded racing fuel at about 95 octane. OTOH, it didn't need anything near that in the mountain states, and it could be de-tuned to work adequately on straight super.
     -Kle.
'69 Crown 4DHT (in limbo)