Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:37 AM
Subject: IML: 1960 Wiper/washer switch

As seems to be common, the washer button in the middle of the wiper switch is missing on my '60. Add to that the washer plunger itself is broken off flush with the end of the wiper stalk. I took the wiper switch apart tonight to clean it and discovered the Imperial engineers were asleep the day they designed the washer plunger....the silly thing is plastic. No wonder it broke off during 47 years of use.

I have a wiper switch already cleaned up that came out of a '62 - the washer plunger on that switch is metal. However I find the original '60 washer pump worked by vacuum while the '62 was electric. So, what to do?

Reading through the IML archives my options seem to be to buy a '60-specific switch (and risk the plastic part breaking again) or replace the vacuum washer pump with an electric one and the "Jiffy Jet" bag. The archives also suggest the vacuum system was prone to problems.

Is there any newer consensus?

It would be easiest to replicate the washer plunger in metal but I can't figure out how the "switch" it fits into comes apart, there's barely any kind of seam.

BTW, is there a supply of the washer buttons around or is it one of those scarce plastic parts? I have a woodworking friend lined up to make a new one for me either out of ebony or maybe some bakelite I have laying around, but it would be good to have an original.

Thanks,
Donn Reese
1960 Custom 4dr hdtp
This electronic communication (including all attachments) is intended only for the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential information. It has not passed through our standard review process. Design data and recommendations included herein are provided as a matter of convenience and should not be used for final design. RELY ONLY ON THE FINAL HARDCOPY MATERIALS BEARING THE CONSULTANT'S ORIGINAL SIGNATURE AND SEAL. If you are not the named addressee(s), any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the original communication from your system. This e-mail and all other electronic (including voice) communications from the sender's firm are not intended by the sender to constitute an electronic record, an electronic signature or any agreement to conduct a transaction by electronic means. Any such intention or agreement is hereby expressly disclaimed unless otherwise specifically indicated.