Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 5:19 PM
Subject: IML: Old vs redone boosters (and other)

Careful on the used parts.

Poor things are 50 years old and have been sitting.

Redo gets around the possibility of a brittle part
failing when you need it most...

Once you've done it, you're good to go for the next 25
+ years....

Hope things sort themselves out!!!

-K

--- JIM LORENZEN <jdlpdx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Would that I will be that lucky.  I'm going out to
the farm this weekend to
prep and hopefully bring the '62 into town.  There
is another vacuum booster
on one of the '61s out there and I'm planning on
grabbing that one.  Also it
seems that I have another one lurking in my basement
if I can only find it.
If not, and if the one from the farm isn't any
better, it looks like I'll
take Kenyon and Paul's advice and ship it down to
San Jose.

Jim L. in OR
    '60 Crown 4dr Southampton
    '62 Crown 4dr Southampton
----- Original Message ----- From: "john sadowski" <jsadowski@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:09 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Strange Beast Sighted Prowling
North Portland

> The power assist went out on my 60 probably about
14 years ago. It had
> been in the body shop for a few months previously.
>     One day, I was taking it over to get a new
headliner installed. I
> almost missed the entrance & jammed on the brakes.
Wasn't I surprised that
> the power assist came back after the panic stop.
I've never had any
> further problem.
> John
> ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Kenyon Wills" <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx>
> Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:17 PM
> Subject: Re: IML: Strange Beast Sighted Prowling
North Portland

>> My solution was to ship to Karp's in San Jose and
have
>> it rebuilt.
>>
>> They seem to have a stranglehold on the rebuild
>> components, and will not sell parts seperate for
>> "liability reasons", but stand ready to do a
complete
>> redo for you.
>>
>> There is a diaphram in there that us usually
torn.

>> I've just swallowed hard and bought rebuilds on
the 4
>> that I've faced.  $250 or so.
>>

>> -K
>>

>> --- JIM LORENZEN <jdlpdx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Gang -
>>> Well, my '60 at last has brakes (sort of) and
while
>>> it is great to be able to move the car without
the
>>> neighbor watching her fence, there is a slight
>>> hic-up in my plans.  Even though the brake light
>>> switch has come back to life, one major
component
>>> has not:  The Power Brake Booster.  So this
evening
>>> I'm curled up with the FSM trying to figure out
how
>>> to get it back to life.  It is the Oval Metal
Type
>>> as opposed to the bellows.   It states in the
>>> troubleshooting section that loss of power
assist
>>> can be caused by the car sitting in storage for
>>> long period of time and I guess 13 years would
>>> qualify.
>>> Does anyone have some suggestions about what to
do
>>> or not to do when tearing into one of these
units?
>>> The FSM gives some pretty good directions but
any
>>> additional help would sure be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jim L. in OR
>>>     '60 Crown 4dr Southampton
>>>     '62 Crown 4dr Southampton
>>

>> Kenyon Wills

>> Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! -
their life, your story.
>> Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
>> http://sims.yahoo.com/

response will be
>> shared with everyone. Private messages (and
attachments) for the
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://imperialclub.com/unsubscribe.htm