Re: IML: IML DIGEST

From: "Jim Poltrock" <jtpoltrock@xxxxxxx>
Subject: IML:  It worked yesterday...
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 13:34:19 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C7A12C.E7289D20

Happy Memorial Day fellow IML members!

I took my '55 out for a drive this morning and discovered that my gas gauge
is no longer working.  It was buried all the way down past "E".  I drove at
top speed to the Mobil and topped her off with 13.0 gallons of 93 octane,
hoping this would jar loose a sticky sending unit float- no go (my mileage
on this last Tank was 11 mpg, around average).  The gauge still read E.  I
found this strange because I had the car out for several trips yesterday and
the gauge was working fine.

I replaced the sending unit after I bought the car- early in '05- and it has
worked fine since.  Is it possible this sending unit "sank", or should I be
looking elsewhere for the cause?

Also, a fellow motorist pointed out to me that my reverse lights are always
on.  I move the shifter around and ended up just removing these bulbs.  They
worked fine yesterday.

I have spent a lot of time getting everything 100% operational on my
Imperial since I bought her- radio, windows, light switch, cigar lighter-
and I would like to keep everything fully operational.  Any
help/guidance/tips on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim Poltrock

'55 sedan

42k miles

Wisteria blue over Rhapsody blue
Jim;

Since it had been working recently, I would first look for the possibility that the wire has come loose at the tank sending unit. Also there could be a bad ground at the tank causing the problem. If you can find where the ground lead is attached to the frame, un-fasten it and clean it and the area on the frame where it fastens. You might want to consider putting a star washer between the ground lead lug and the frame along with some grease to keep moisture away from the connections.

There is also a possibility that the problem could be in the dash/instrument cluster area. Many of these cars have a 5 volt mechanical voltage regulator for the gauges. In operation you can see the pulsation of the voltage being fed to the various gauge circuits if you use an analog volt meter. That is it's normal operation. If there is not voltage on the gauges, you will note that other gauges may not be working either - temperature and possibly oil pressure.

I don't remember if the '55 models had an actual oil pressure tube going to the oil gauge or if it is strictly electrical. You would have to check the service manual on that.

From memory I believe the individual gauges in the instrument cluster were hard wired and not part of an etched circuit board, so you will probably not have to be concerned about open wiring except at the tank.

I hope this helps.

Joe Strickland