Re: IML: Imperial represented at the Art Car Parade.

Re: IML: Imperial represented at the Art Car Parade.

Can an Imperial be art? Is this the result of the Daimler-Chrysler Marriage? You Decide!

http://images.chron.com/photos/2007/05/11/6241562/600xPopupGallery.jpg

The front of this car is a '62 Imperial. The rear is a 70's Mercedes 300 series. It's all part of the annual Art Car Parade in Houston. Hoped to see Tim's beautiful Yarn Car. At least part of an Imperial was represented!

Mark Evans
1963 Imperial Crown Convertible
http://www.imperialclub.org/~maevans/MyImperial/index.html
1968 Dodge Polara 500 Convertible
http://www.imperialclub.org/~maevans/MyPolara/index.html

I didn't make the newspaper story this year, but I was there! Sorry we missed each other, if you were there too. Among 250 wild cars and a quarter million people milling about, it's easy to overlook things.

That colossal Imperial-fronted Frankenstein car is called the "FinnJet", from Florida. It's quite amazing! I never did get to meet the creator, but it looks as if he must have won a bet about how many auto parts he could attach to a single car. The collection of rear view mirrors alone is staggering.

Reportedly at least two of the three axles are steerable.

A banner across the back reads "Thank You Lord For Humor".

Unfortunately I could never work the logistics so as to get a photo of my '67 alongside it. I'll bet they're the only two Imperial-based art cars in the world. ("And for that, the world gives thanks," I hear some of you muttering.)

My photos of the FinnJet:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarncar/517955231/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarncar/517957991/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarncar/517962193/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarncar/518098157/

And for dessert, a shot of my '67 posing with a roller skating neuron:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarncar/517916256/

The Houston Art Car Parade is always the second weekend in May. The public is welcome to mingle among the cars and creators for a few hours beforehand, so it's really more of a long, thin car show that happens to end with a parade. My car won 2nd Place the first year I went. The spectators are amazingly enthusiastic. Even the owners of beautiful, dignified, monochromatic Imperials might have a good time visiting the opposite end of the car culture spectrum for a day... If you're there next year, stop by and say howdy.

Tim Klein
Dallas, Texas
http://www.yarncar.com