Re: IML: 950x14 vs. 235/75R14 (1957/1958)

Re: IML: 950x14 vs. 235/75R14 (1957/1958)

I recently went thru this same decision and ended up opting for a set of General Jet-Air's from Lucas in Longbeach, CA.   (Really nice looking tire BTW). If you figure these are 82 series and just under 30" in diameter, it is impossible to come close in a radial profile. Downside is that I doubt that I'll get more than 20,000 miles out of a bias ply.

I couldn't find 235/75 14's, but just recently I noted them on the Coker website or somewhere. They are still about an inch or two shorter. For cruising around occasionally, I think I would rather have the Bias, which look 'right' on a 50's car and you won't lose your mufflers in the process.

I do plan to get some 15" rims for a set of taller (and cheaper) radials though. The caps might not be year-correct, but most people won't know the difference I suspect.

hot rod <michiganhotrod1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi;
I put the Lester bias ply 9.50 - 14's on my '58 Imperial. I am very happy with the ride and handling, surprisingly so. A few folks I spoke to with early forward look cars were unhappy with radials on theirs.
Odd, since on the later C and Y bodies, a set of quality radials usually helps both the handling and ride. I vividly recall the improvement on my fathers '69 Town and Country when radials became popular and we replaced the belted tires with them. Amazingly less harsh ride.
So, go figure.
Mark

Frederic Mardon <fmardon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello list,

I'm about to change my 20 years old tires (currently 950x14), and I was
wondering whether I should go for radials or stay with bias ply. Has someone
made this conversion, with 235/75R14 radials ? The overall diameter is
smaller with the radials, and I'm also unsure about the final aspect (does
the car look as if it had "small" tires ?). Any recommendation or advice is
welcomed! My rims are 14", so the choice of radials is very limited. Any
pictures showing a 57/58 Imperial with such radials?

Regards,

Frédéric
1958 Imperial sedan