IML: Dome Lamp Issue

Robert;

Just wanted to let you know that I managed to locate a map/courtesy lamp switch. Valley Vintage Auto Parts had a search capability on their website (the link is http://www.imperialclub.com/Part/Electrical/switches.htm and then go to
their listing near the bottom of the page:
http://www.vvap.com/
They had the P/N 2198 090 switch I needed. The one in my '62 had come completely apart and some of the internal pieces of the switch were simply gone.

Judging from the way the back of the switch is held together, it would not be too difficult for someone like Elijah Scott to repair. A new internal sliding contact and new contacts on the bakelite back piece would make one like new again.

Those automatic door switches are potential trouble makers in many cars. My friend who used to own the '62 I now own had taken the dome lamp out of its socket because he was not able to figure out why the dome lamp stayed on when the car was shut off and all the doors were closed.

I will have to remove the radio so I can install the new map/courtesy light switch. I had the radio out several years ago and I remember it was not easy to remove. I am now 64 years old and not too fond of having to stand on my head to do this sort of thing. Fortunately I am not a large person, so that helps.

I am going to have to add one or two of the metal washers to solve the problem with the dome lamp coming on in my car too. Another way to get the automatic switch pin to be depressed more by the door would be to take the interior door panel off and use a steel rod and ball peen hammer to strike the leading edge of the door from the inside of the door to push the metal forward. That is a more difficult way to correct the problem though.

It has been many years since I have had the plastic trim off of the center pillar on the inside of the car. I don't know if there is an access hole to the automatic door switch from inside the car with the trim off or not. If there is it would make removing the switch easier. Not having the wire plugged onto the rear of the switch would prevent twisting the wire and possibly damaging it.

The '62 Chrysler & Imperial Parts Manual lists two types of automatic door switches:
One with an elbow type sleeve connector P/N 1972 329
One with a straight sleeve connector    P/N 1971 931
You might be able to find a new switch after you determine which type is used in your situation.

Good luck!

Joe Strickland