Re: IML: Frozen Doors

I had a hell of a time getting my pass. door opened after a brief 30 or 40 year stint closed.  After getting the handle off and the panel,  I was able to hose down the latch with penetrant and tap it back and forth w/ a really long handle screwdriver and hammer.

My best trick is to let it be and come back to it in a few days or a week when I have a stuck part.  Next are the brake drums.  Luckily, I just inherited a Proto hub puller from my dad that is about the same vintage as my imperial.

JIM LORENZEN <jdlpdx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi again -
Just wanted to thank everyone on the list that came up with ideas to open the rear doors on my '62 Imperial.  By using a combination of the suggestions I was rewarded with success over the past weekend.  The culprits turned out to be frozen power door lock actuators.  Once I disconnected them, the outside handles worked perfectly.  It took two of us: Me lying down on the rear seat pushing with my legs and a friend holding onto the shaft of the inside handle pushing it in the open position.  Once open, I sprayed the mechanisms with PB Blaster followed by compressed air and a generous helping of White Lithium Grease.  They now work fine.  The lock actuators will literally bear looking into.
My thanks to Paul, Eric, John and many others.  I couldn't have done it without you.

Jim L. in OR
    '60 Crown 4dr Southampton
    '62 Crown 4dr Southampton

It's here! Your new message!