Re: IML: '55-'56 Oil Cannister Spring//2

Re: IML: '55-'56 Oil Cannister Spring//2

In a message dated 6/8/2007 11:05:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, gkitterma@xxxxxxx writes:
Jack, one of the few concessions to modernity that I've made to "Babe" is to change from the  original canister type filter to a spin on. The main reason I did it was because I couldn't stop the canister from leaking around the head of the through bolt that secures the can to the engine.

I installed HEM-5311 Billet Oil Filter Adapter purchased from Performance Automotive Warehouse. The cost was $69.95 plus shipping. The spin on filter is one that most service stations stock. Because I like Wix products, I usually try to get their version.

No more leak and no more hot oil running down your arm when you loosen it.

Gary Kitterman
'56 C-73 "Babe"
Gary,

    You know, I actually think I have one of those buried in my barn from an eBay purchase and then-desire to 'modify' the unit(s) way back after similar circumstances on both the '55 and '56, I just need to check the depth as I am not sure if I have the long[331] or short [354] conversion......that can is ONE B**** to push back on against the block to its seating with that spring tension, while maintaining a good gasket seal all the while laying on one's back [I have YET to be able to install it without a leak from working it over the fender]... and now for around $2500 here a new 9000# four post lift can be had and installed in your garage/barn, given the proper ceiling height, and they can be run on 110V as well, my frugalness telling me in aggravation alone it would pay for itself after a few even lightweight jobs, maybe I can sell the wife on the "Father's Day Gift For Years to Come"? .....anyway, being a cheap old Yankee and guilt-ridden Catholic, I could never yet bring myself to make the can swap, as the challenge each time to 'get it right just one time with ease' kept getting me, not to mention the fact I had purchased a pack of six filters for each car and refused to install the new unit until I had used my other filters!!!...LOLOLOL.........I need to look in my barn as OPERATING TEMP HOT oil--the ONLY way to change it--down my arm has finally lost its lustre for me......and I agree entirely with you on the Wix products, I find them quite capable...

Jack

See what's free at AOL.com.