Re: IML: 62 Rebuild or Replace Engine?

soon.  Thin smoke is coming from the oil filler cap and draft tube, but
I don’t see any smoke coming out the tailpipe). The engine burns a quart
of oil almost every 50 miles.  I have tried using Restore and it does
seem to be improving the blow-by. With the problems I have, should the
original engine be rebuilt, or should I start looking for a replacement
engine?

If your engine were burning a quart of oil every 50 miles you would see great billowing clouds of smoke behind the car. Since you arent seeing smoke it is either leaking the oil or blowing it out while the car is in motion.

How much blowby do you have? Without a PCV valve I consider it normal on an older engine to see a little smoke drifting out of the oil filler and draft tube. Cars with a PCV smoke too but you never see the smoke as it gets burned up in the ventilation process. I would do a compression test on the engine just to see what kind of shape it is in and go from there. If the numbers are low then it is probably getting a bit tired and time for a rebuild. All the parts are still readily available except for the pistons which are still out there, just a bit more expensive.

If the engine has sat up a lot I would drive it for a while and see if the problem gets worse or better. I have seen a number of old engines that don't run so hot when they first come out of storage clear up and run pretty good once the rings unstick and start sealing again.

          Steve B.