Re: IML: 62 Rebuild or Replace Engine?

It doesn't sound like any " Rebuild in a can" is going to make significant improvements.If the rings are stuck, or broken, prolonged use will certainly destroy the cylinder bores( if not already). An engine trans-plant sounds like the best solution now. Then the original engine can be disassembled, and inspected and assessed for damage, and a rebuild. The block can be re-sleeved, and the porosity issue handled with a weld and stitch, or drill and plug process.That can be done, at only the best  machine shops.If you want a 413 block, they were used till 1976 in motor homes and heavy duty Dodge trucks.It looks like you have a full plate.Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: "JIM LORENZEN" <jdlpdx@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Graham,

I agree with Steve.  If your 413 was burning that much oil in 50 miles, you would make the Aston-Martin in"Goldfinger" during the chase scene look Eco-Friendly.  Not only that, you'd be getting "Thank-you" notes from your favorite spark plug manufacturer.   A little smoke out the oil filler cap and draft tube are normal.  My '60 has been doing that every since I got her and that was when she was 10 years old with 57,000 miles.
Still, that oil is going some place and at a rate that isn't  normal.  Stick your finger up the draft tube and my guess is that you'll find where most of your oil is going.  A valve cover gasket leak is probable as well.
After sitting for 14 years, my '60 is smoking a bit out the passenger side exhaust.  I expect that it will go away after being driven.  Oil consumption has been low so far.  How much do you drive yours?
I'd follow John's advice and see what happens.
What ever you do, if the engine is the original one, keep it !!!  If you want to put an "intrim" engine in it do so but keep the original.   Personally, I'd go straight for a rebuild kit and like make it a winter project.  If you can do a jig-saw puzzel, you can rebuild one of these engines.
Good luck

Jim L. in OR
    '60 Crown 4dr Southampton
    '62 Crown 4dr Southampton