IML: Steering Center Link and Safety

>Subject: Re: IML: 59 suspension parts needed
>
>Hi All,
>   I'm in the need of a center link assy. and tie rod ends, any sources?
>Marty Trendler
>
>Red Bluff Ca
>1959 Imperial Le Baron 4 Door Sedan
>
>Marty:
>    The tie rod ends may be available from PST (http://www.p-s-t.com/).
>They don't show them but they do include them in their front end kits >so I guess they are there somewhere and I just can't find 'em. If not >you can order them from rare parts through your local parts America >distributor. In my area this would be AutoZone.. They list all the >tie rod ends as available and about 65 each (www.autozone.com).
>
>The center link isn't available. The only thing you can do is send >yours to have it rebuilt. Again, Rare Parts seems to have a corner on >the market but last time I needed one done they would only deal with a >mechanic or machine shop. You can find them at www.rareparts.com
>
>Steve B.

Over 10 years ago I managed to get a new steering center link, tie rod ends, idler arm, Pitman arm, ball joints and bushings to rebuild the front end on my '62 Imperial from Kanter Auto. At that time they were good to deal with. The actual parts were made by Moog. From some comments on the club website, I don't know if Kanter is a good choice any more.

It turns out that these cars all seem to develop problems with the steering center link, Pitman and Idler arms due to the heavy weight of the cars. When the rubber bushings wear out it allows the parts to shift from their normal position and radius of travel causing excessive stress on the studs of the idler arm and pitman arm. Eventually it leads to the studs snapping apart. The last thing you want is a catastrophic failure while going down the road. The car I have had its pitman arm snap at the stud while it was in the driveway of my friend. If it had happened on the road it would probably have lead to a fatal accident. There was absolutely no control of steering when it happened.

Be sure to check all the rubber bushings in the front end and the ball joints for wear. After these many years it pays to have new parts if there is evidence of wear and disintegration of the rubber elements. Keep trying all possible sources for new parts before you have your old one(s) rebuilt.

Joe S.