Re: IML: 62 rebuild

Drive it, watch it, and do a compression or leak down test. If its hopeless then worry about what to do with it. There is virtually no difference between the 413 and 440 in the areas of the block, other than the bore of the cylinders and the fact that non motor home 413 pistons are not as easy to come by as 440. As far as interchanging with a 440, thats what I did but only because the 440 was readily available in my garage. You could put your 413 heads on the 440, if you want to keep the top end looking completely stock ( 4 valve cover bolts on 413s versus 6 on the 440s but most people wont even notice or know that its different ).

The 62 and later big block all have the same trans bolt pattern, so the trans will bolt to the block. On the later engines, like 72 and newer, the balance may be different but I dont remember for sure. Even thats not a big deal with the correct harmonic balancer and flex plate.

All in all, Id continue to drive it and monitor what its doing. 413's are not hard to come by, finding them nearby can be an issue depending on where youre located.

Good luck

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe