Re: IML: '60 wiring harness rubber at doors '61 '62 '63 '64 '65?

Re: IML: '60 wiring harness rubber at doors '61 '62 '63 '64 '65?

Not being in the room with you to see what you're
seeing, I can only suppose, but would it be worthwhile
to consider binding the wires together so that the
cracks in the existing insulation (I read that right,
right?) will matter less while preventing them from
rubbing together?

I don't know about the metal channel on other cars
(check out post 1966 if you follow that path since I'm
almost certain there isn't anything on those years),
but would be inclined to look at ways to:

1.  Isolate each wire from the other (electrical tape
or individual heat-shrink-wrap).

2.  Encase the entire loom from mid-door to under the
dash with a larger, encompassing shrink tube that when
heated would squeeze the wires together so that they
aren't flexing seperately, and therefore are "maybe"
less likely to touch each other and short out, because
you're using the existing remaining wire insulation to
seperate the wires and they're now all bound together
and flexing as one instead of rubbing against each
other individually?

The black big thick shrink wrap that I'm thinking of
has a rubber-texture surface, and would not look too
out of place on a car as nicely done as yours.  It's a
flat black.

Setting aside aesthetic concerns (and I know that you
can't at this point), "Snake Skin" is what the AV
industry uses to protect wire looms from external
wear.  It is a plastic tube made of woven strands that
acts just like the "chinese finger-cuffs" that they
sell in the vending machines to kids.  If you don't
know what that is, I can't explain it any better, so
please don't ask...

One other option for an original-looking sheath would
be a bicycle inner-tube.  They come in varying
diameters and some have ribbing that might even have a
"factory" look to the un-informed eye that would make
it appear that the sheath was meant for that
application?

-Kenyon