IML: Dimmer Switch corrosion prevention

Mike & Cindy;

Is the corrosion on the inside or was it on the outside of the switch?
Silicone lubricant could be used inside or outside of the switch. I would check to make sure there is not a rain leak or AC/heater fluid Leak getting under the carpet and causing the corrosion problem.

It is possible to get a tube of silicone lubricant at Radio Shack. Use the clear type, not the white or other colored types. The silicone is much more resistant to arcing and is difficult to burn, so it makes a better choice than conventional greases. It would be a good choice to keep moisture out of the switch. There is also a paste consistency version of this silicone lubricant which is sold at Home Depot and Lowe's in the plumbing department. Plumbers use it on some of the seals in single lever faucets as a lubricant. It is also used on "O"-rings of water filter cannisters.

Joe S.