Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:21 PM
Subject: IML: Imperial gast tank sending units

I have looked at the construction of the gas tank sending units and the resistance element appears to be nichrome wire wound around a circular insulation piece. I suspect the insulation part of the element is originally a straight piece that can be flexed to a circular shape after the nichrome wire is wound on it. It might be possible for someone to repair these. Does the group know of anyone who has advertised that they can do this?

I was lucky enough about 10 years ago to find probably the last OEM one on a dealer's shelf in Bellview Washington. A local dealer in the Dallas area found it using their computer search capabilities on the network of dealers. The dealer in Washington sold it to me at the last listed price of about $29.00 plus shipping. I felt very fortunate to be able to replace the original unit.

I still have the original gas tank sending unit that came from my '62, having saved it just in case someone could rebuild it later.

Joe S.