Re: IML: Rob van der Es and LPG conversion of his Imperial

Re: IML: Rob van der Es and LPG conversion of his Imperial

Hi Joe and others,

The conversion to LPG is really very simple, first you have to find a
suitable gas tank. Or in my case you have to find two, due to the fuel
consumption behaviour of a 1960 Imperial.

I was able to couple 2 tanks of 70 liters each, resulting in a usuable
capacity of 112 liters (80% of 140 liters, for safety you can only fill
the tanks for 80%).
112 liters will make 32 gallons or so, and with a fuel consumption that is
slightly (10%) higher then on petrol I have a fuel milage of 10.4 mpg in
dense traffic. On the highway, with constant speed between 70 and 75 it
will improve slightly to 11.3 mpg.

I have one tank right behind the backseat, just mounted right above the
rear axle of the car. You know, right at the hump in your trunk :)
The second tank is placed in front of it, leaving enough room in the trunk
for your mother in law if you want LOL.

There is a thin copper line running then from the tank to the engine
compartment, where it is connected to the LPG converter. This device
converts the liquid propane to gas.

All you need then is a gas intake ring that is mounted on top of your
carburetor (just between the intake throat of your carb and the
airfilter).

You are basically done then, just apart from some electrical connections
(you must be able to switch from petrol and lpg) and some plumbing (like
mounting of the filler pipe for the lpg tanks, neatly hidden behind my
rear license plate :)

Ofcourse this dual fuel setup will give you a massive range.
When you use the full capacity of both petrol and lpg tanks you can drive
600 miles before you have to fill them up again!

But the main reason for the conversion is the hefty petrol price in the
Netherlands. Petrol (Shell V-power with 98 octane) will cost about $6.69
per gallon, while LPG only cost you about $2.07 per gallon.

And yes, the engine runs much cleaner on it, the oil comes out almost as
blanc as you have poured it in.

And what is more, I can not detect any noticable power loss when switching
from petrol to lpg!
Just to prevent the carburetor from drying out, I run the car once a week
on petrol instead of LPG. But I can not say that it runs more powerfull
then, but who runs his 60 Imp at full throttle anyway? I don't..

I am very happy with the conversion I have made, it saves my a lot of
dollars on gas (well euros then) and the car runs great on LPG (problably
because the octane rate is high: about 110 octane in my country).

Ignition is set to 13 degrees BTDC without any pinging.

Robert