IML: Front end height of 1960 Imp

Before making the measurements on a flat smooth surface, be sure to "jounce" the front end as the service manual describes. There is something about having these cars up on racks or jacks that when lowered to the ground they do not return to their normal ride height until the front end is bounced up and down some. The manual calls it "jounce" which may not be a real English word. They describe grasping the bumper and lifting and pushing down the front end several times until it settles to its resting height. (Be careful if you have any back problems)! This should be done each time right or left front sides are adjusted. Also, do not use measurements from the bottom edge of the bumper (the bumper may not be at correct height due to previous minor bumps into other vehicles or remounting of the bumper over the years). Use the measurements as shown in the service manual from the pivot point of the lower control arm to ground and from the bottom of the lower control arm near the wheel as shown.

Like Rob, my car is lower in the rear than it should be as my friend who used to own the car carried so much weight in the trunk that the rear springs developed a reverse arc shape. He had then added helper springs that brought it back close to original height. The rear springs on my '62 need to be re-arced and have the interleaf spring silencing pads replaced. Once I get the car in running condition one of the next shop trips for the car will be to a suitable spring shop in Dallas (Dallas Brake & Frame) for that repair.

debenson2 wrote:
postscript; and bring along you FSM!!

I would be reluctant to take my Factory Service Manual for a mechanic to get his greasy or dirty hands on it. I prefer to make Xerox copies and provide them to the mechanic to use. That way my FSM can stay clean and easy to read.

Good luck Rob!

Joe S.