IML: 1968 Crown Blower Motor

I am trying to remove the blower motor from my '68
Crown convertible. According to the manual, this
should be a simple matter of removing three sheet
metal screws on the engine side of the cowl, and the
fan will fall away from firewall.

I removed the screws, but the motor wouldn't budge.
Prying with a screw driver didn't help, nor did gentle
prying with a large screwdriver. Something seems to be
holding the blower in place.

Is there a hidden secret that the manual does not
reveal?

Help!

Dave Duricy
1968 Imperial Crown convertible