Re: IML: Front End Height Without Tool C-3608: Result front end 5 inches

Re: IML: Front End Height Without Tool C-3608: Result front end 5 inches too low!!!

I do not know about the older Imperials, but the 69s have the torsion bars isolated from the frame by rubber mounts.
The torsion bars are attached to a steel support which is bolted to the frame. If that steel support came loose , both sides could drop.
From what I have read, because of this setup, you must release the the tension on both torsion bars when doing any front end work.

Are you riding on your rebound bumpers?
It does not hurt to adjust the torsion bar adjusters to see what happens. Just expect to do a front end alignment afterwards.

Good luck.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob van der Es"
Subject: Re: IML: Front End Height Without Tool C-3608: Result front end 5 inches too low!!!
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:50:32 +0200

Hello again Tom and Tim,

Thanks for the measurements that you both have send to me.
Now I know for sure that something is terrible wrong...

Here are my measurements: on the center of the
parking the space between the underside of the
bumper and the street is only : 21.5 cm. Height
to dead center is 19 cm..

What on earth could have happened that my car has dropped 5 inches or so??
Mind you, the car is still level at the front
so if something is broken or missing it is on
both sides!! ??

Is it possible to raise the car by 5 inches by
simple turning the adjusters a couple of turns
in the clockwise direction??.

You see, maybe this whole situation is because
the rear of the car is higher then normal
(because I don't like the sagging look at the
rear) If I sink the rear of the car by 5 inches
(what I don't like), will the front come up
then by 5 inches or I am thinking to simple?

Any thoughts??

@ Tom: glad to hear that my starter REALLY was
at fault :) we didn't change it for nothing
then ..
Ofcourse I will pay the repair as soon as you
have received the definite bill of your starter
guy. Please don't forget to ask him for the
protective boots for the starter fork of our
starters!

Thanks again for taking those measurements (I
only whish that they were closer to the figures
I have measured..) and I am looking forward to
hear what could have caused this situation..

Rob
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Scott"
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:21 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Front End Height Without Tool C-3608

> [...]
>> Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:42 PM
>> Subject: IML: Front End Height Without Tool C-3608
>>

>>> A little further into the section about
>>> height adjustment in the FSM for 1960 is
>>> the section of how to adjust without tool
>>> C-3608.
>>> http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1960/FSM/html/02-006.htm
>>> Look at section 'b.'
>>> The measurement is pretty straightforward
>>> and very easy, it is just a subtraction
>>> from two simple measurements with a margin
>>> of difference between either side. Unless
>>> you have a perfectly flat surface to work
>>> on, it isn't precise but you can get close
>>> enough. Of course the Master Technicians
>>> Service Conference reference book on
>>> Suspension and Front End Alignment for 1960
>>> is a good read,
>>> http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/146/146Page07.htm
>>> I used my paved street as a basis point
>>> when I levelled my '64 Crown Coupe, opting
>>> for the highest allowed subtraction. I have
>>> a preference for a tall sitting Imperial.
>>>
>>> Suspension component wear, specifically
>>> bushings that have disintegrated and worked
>>> their way out can cause a slight drop in
>>> ride height. I wonder if the mysteriously
>>> sunken Imperial mentioned recently lost a
>>> lower A arm bushing? It's a stretch but
>>> I've had one work it's way out of a
>>> Chrysler before.
>>>
>>> Measuring bumper height is not the official
>>> way of determining proper ride height, and
>>> being such, it doesn't ensure the proper
>>> geometry that the former Porsche engineers
>>> that Chrysler hired for suspension
>>> development intended. If anyone has more
>>> info on that suspension team, I'd love to
>>> read about it. Bumper height measurements
>>> would indicate if the front of the car has
>>> a twist in it or that the bumper is out of
>>> alignment but it is pretty remote from the
>>> official suspension measurement.
>>>
>>> KYB shocks, or any gas charged shock, will
>>> provide a lift if your rear springs are
>>> sagging more than you'd like. I've posted
>>> the KYB Truck & Van Division HD shock part
>>> # and I think it's in the repair section
>>> under Suspension in the website. I put
>>> these on a '72 Newport of mine years back,
>>> I'm presuming they would work for a like
>>> year Imperial, and maybe earlier models,
>>> but that should be double checked. They
>>> lifted the rear of that A-35 Trailer Tow
>>> Pkg with HD suspension (ie. extra leaf et
>>> al) Newport to what I imagine to be a
>>> like-new height.
>>>
>>> Speaking of rear suspensions, there is a
>>> fascinatiing bit in the Master Technicians
>>> Service Conference reference book for 1965.
>>> It descirbes the engineered rear suspension
>>> understeer incorporated into the action of
>>> the rear spring hanger, effectively making
>>> for a bit of rear steering
>>> http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/214/Page06.htm
>>> Chrysler didn't just slap leaf springs on
>>> our cars for no reason. These are an
>>> engineered item with a specific purpose.
>>> It's no wonder these cars hold a line in a
>>> curve so well, as I'm often demonstrating

>>> 1964 Crown Coupe