Re: IML: Front A-Arm Bushes

Hi Eric,

That sounds like music to my ears!!
If it could just be that simple, just a few turns on the adjusterbolts and the car is back to normal height again.

I must admit that the car was a bit low on the front already when I purchased it in the summer of 2005. Since I correct the height of the rear end to compensate for those heavy LPG tanks in the trunk I might have pressed the front end a little more to the street :)

Are those adjusters easy to turn normally? In my FSM is stated that if more then 200 foot pounds of torque is reguired to turn them then the bolts and anchors should be replaced..

Well, that is fine with me but where can I find new anchors and bolts then, are they still new available??

Ofcourse I will also check the condition of the lower A arm bushes when I am under the car, but I think I will be first try to get me some new anchors and bolts. Just to be safe and be able to continue the work when I need them.

I hate to interrupt a job because I don't have parts at hand, especially when living in the Netherlands it can lead to an inoperative car for a couple of weeks or so..

Btw, can you give me the name and issue number of that Mopar magazine you just read with regard to this subject.

I will try to get me a copy too then.

I already have had a quick look under the car this morning before I went to work, and I noticed those large adjuster bolts. I have a correct socket for it so it wouldn't be too difficult to turn them, if they are still in a condition that they can be turned ofcourse.

I guess a good bath of penetrating wouldn't hurt either :)

According to some other sources on the web it could also be that the threads of the adjuster bolts or anchors are stripped, leading to a very much lowered front end.

I don't know if this is true, but one reason more to have a new set at hand if I can only find them?

Any input is welcome as always !

Thanks,

Rob
----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric" <gearhead@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2007 5:42 AM
Subject: IML: Front A-Arm Bushes

Robert,
I think all the rubber suspension parts are available for your car. I've not yet done the procedure but I did just read in a stateside Mopar magazine listing a simple washer size as a way to remove the lower A arm bushes. It was stated that you go around the turned out end of the bush with a punch to help cave in the metal sleeve then use a washer and long bolt from the inside to press/pull it out. They are often noted as being rusted in and difficult to remove but the guy who wrote this instructional to the editor said this makes it a simple job. You could take your A-arm into a hardware store and find a suitable size washer to fit into the round hole, or take an inside measurement. My '64 has a bad driver's side bush and I think this is causing a pull to the left on my car. For your suspension height issue, it sounds like a previous owner may have done a simple lowering of the front end. Get each front wheel off the ground and give the torsion bar adjusters a few turns. I bet it's as simple as that. I forget their size but the adjuster bolts are pretty large, I use a long tube over the end of my big crescent wrench as a levering aid. Easy job.

Eric
1964 Crown Coupe