Re: IML: Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Hi Members: Grosse Pointe Michigan has not changed all that much from when those pictures were taken. It is an area of large homes and mansions where most of the "Old Money" still lives. A lot of the area has Lake Saint Clair as a backdrop. There are three Pointes- Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Park and Grosse Pointe Farms. Grosse Pointe is the most pristine.
All of the Pointes are just to the east of the city limit of Detroit. Not very far away from the old Imperial plant- probably 10 minutes. Jefferson is the main road that runs through both Detroit and Grosse Pointe.
Henry Ford did have a mansion in Grosse Pointe but I believe that it was taken down to make room for some condos. I believe that William Clay Ford of Detroit Lions fame!!!! still lives there. Many other big money people are also still there.
The Chrysler Musuem is probably about 45 minutes away- as is the Henry Ford Musuem. I am in Lake Orion Michigan and been close to all of this for my whole 52 years. I hope that this helps some members who were wondering about those pictures. Gary

tomswift@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Folks,

Recently I was looking through a book titled Imperial Photo Album 1964-1968, or something like that, and I became curious as to where the pictures were shot.

For those of you who haven't seen this book, it has a lot of black & white photos of Imperials from 1964 to 1968. Some of these are obviously studio shots, but a large number show Imperials driving around suburban neighborhoods or parked at gas stations (one with an A&P in the background). The shots look very real and unstaged, for the most part.

Anyway, after careful scrutiny of some road signs in a corner of one of the pictures and with the help of Mapquest I was able to discover that most of these shots were taken in the neighborhood of Grosse Pointe, Michigan, which is a suburb of Detroit.

Well, big deal you say. Yeah, it is kind of trivial but it looks to me as if the photo crew just grabbed a car and drove down the street to take these pictures. I don't think this neighborhood is that far away from the Imperial plant in Detroit.

Anybody familiar with Grosse Pointe? I wonder how it's changed since these photos were taken.

Mark M