Re: IML: A/C ReVamp

there is nothing wrong w/ the design of the 2 piston compressor. If you have a
good one, I'd leave it.  I doubt you would gain anything in efficiency by changing
mounts, and everything else to fit a rotary one.  If you have factory a/c, I doubt you
want aftermarket stuff on it. Buy a stock rebuilt one if yours won't pull suction when you put your thumb over the suction hole and turn the clutch.
 I have charged w/ R12, R134, and the refrigerants from Autorefrigerants.com.  They are all non-polar hydrocarbon solvents and work great.  I have used their standard refrigerant with very good success and recently I reordered and bought the industrial 12 version which is
charged at atmospheric pressure (not under a vacuum like the other one, or most refrigerants are.)  You don't follow the sightglass for these refrigerants, as they have different evap. rates than florocarbons (134) and chloroflorocarbon (freon 12), so if you go until the bubbles are gone, you have overcharged.

R134 doesn't have the cooling capacity that R12 did, so your system won't get as cold. That is why the first few years of 134 cars didnt' work well until they upsized the evap and condensor coils. I have been dissapointed w/ 134 and only use it if someone requests it. (evap./boiling point is 15 degrees higher than R12), the hydrocarbons are lower than R12, so they generally produce colder temps at the vents. I have a tiny system on a Chevy Sprint 3 cyl. that produces 32 F air at the vents in 85-90 degree weather.

mmonsher@xxxxxxx wrote:
let's hear from the AC experts. Is it an easy conversion from R12 to 134a?
FOR THE CHRYSLERS 440 WITH the twin piston compressor/? Can a better
rotary compressor be used for efficiency(what brand and make) with the old
twin piston compressor saved for authenticity in the trunk! Someboy must
have been through this without an ac shop....