Re: IML: pw steering pump hose for '61

Phil,  you are quite right, the gear box is under high pressure. It's possible the problem could be the re-use of some worn parts, like the output shaft, and or bearings. Check the shaft for play, side to side, with the steering linkage off. The other thought, is the return line regulator/relief valve, a sticking valve, wrong spring, or trash in the port.The thickness of the seal washer could also change the pressure setting. I'm referring to a 65 unit, but I suspect the construction is the same.Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: Phil Courant - ACCF <accf-club@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
(i try to reply from my regular adress, dont know if it'll work ..)
It could be a defective lower shaft seal.
Every time the fluid goes out the (o-ring) lower seal is blown from the steering box !!! So ther's a lot of pressure in the box which is, i think, obvious.

Note that itsn't a leak but a pool !  As the seal goes out, ALL the fluid falls on the ground !!

--

Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)- Webmaster des sites ACCF et C-I-F

Imperial 1957 Crown convertible

Buick 1996 Roadmaster wagon

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com

- Chrysler Imperial France (C-I-F) :   http://www.ch300imp.com