IML: Imperial in Commercial & drum puller

IML: Imperial in Commercial & drum puller

The supposed '55 Imperial in the commercial is indeed actually a '55 Chrysler 300.  The Chrysler 300 used the same grill as the Imperial.  As Roger mentioned, look closely at the rear quarter panel.  You will note that it has a chromed quasi-fin tail light assembly, not the Imperial round tail light in a ring.  The Chrysler 300 used the same tail light assembly as a New Yorker or Windsor.  (The New Yorker tail light had horizontal bands of chrome around the red plastic lens, while a Windsor tail light did not).  On the '55 Imperial, the driver's side tail light assembly concealed the gas cap and filler neck access.

Those who mentioned Snap-On Tool's drum puller - what was the model number of the tool you used?  I had a J.C. Whitney drum puller made from cast metal that sounded similar to the description of the Snap-On model.  It had a large screw-in bolt that had a square head on it.  A similar one with a hex head bolt would be much better.  My friend and I could not find a suitable socket to use when working on a '61 Imperial, and so used an adjustable wrench and pipe extension.  The adjustable wrench jaws broke and we were unsuccessful in our efforts.

One of my concerns on a '62 Imperial is the end of the bolt that moves against the end of the axle.  On the J.C. Whitney drum puller, keeping the bolt centered was a problem and it messed up the end of the rear axle shaft.

Does anyone have a picture of the C-845 drum puller made by Miller Special Tools?  I would like to see what the end of the bolt on it looks like.  I am curious to see if there was some special piece that fit against the end of the axle to prevent damaging the axle.

Joseph W. Strickland
1021 Vaughan Lane
Tioga, TX 76271-2937