IML: Should I believe the gauge?

Aloha,
I'm trying to decide whether to worry about something or not. For the past couple of months, the oil pressure gauge in my '68 LeBaron drops to nothing after the engine is warm and I stop for a light or at idle.
There's no lifter noise and the Sentry Signal doesn't light up. If I give it some gas, the needle moves back where it's supposed to be.
I haven't been driving the car much recently so I haven't thought about it much -- I checked the archives but nothing seems to address it directly since I'm not picking up any noise even when the gauge drops. I started using Straight 30 weight oil about a year ago -- should I go back to using something heavier?
Thanks for any insight.
Jim Kelly
'68 & '71 LeBarons
Honolulu

Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL.com.