IML: '68 - no brakes problem

Hydraulic brakes were called "hypodermic" brakes in
the early ads (when folks were used to mechanical
linkages) to give a connection to syringes, as they
act in similar fashion.

I suggest that the plunger seal in the master cylinder
is compromised and allowing fluid to move past the
seal, effectively negating the pumping that you're
doing.  If it were failing, that might equal the
progressively receding firmness as it failed?

Also check each fitting everywhere in the system for
apparent wetness since you're checking things out
anyway.  I know the MC was full, but you can't be too
careful while you're on the topic.

First step would be to replace that MC.

After that, you'd want to pull the wheels/brake pads
to check the calipers.  It is theoretically possible
that there is a gap between your stainless sleeves
that is allowing compression, but that should not
yeild a dead pedal, only a spongy "bleed me" feel.

-Kenyon