IML: A few questions about my '55...

Hi fellow Imperialist-

I brought my 1955 Imperial sedan to an all Mopar car show near my and left with a few questions:

My car has stainless steel window shades above all four door windows.  An older gentlemen who seemed very knowledgeable about this vintage of Mopar told me they were dealer add-ons in 1955 and his friend stated they were rare- he had never seen them in person before.  I guess I never paid much attention to them (but I do like them).  Another fellow commented that the steering wheel in my car must not be original.  He based his observation on the fact that my car has a Wisteria blue roof over Rhapsody in blue body with matching leather interior and the steering wheel is greenish.  The dash is blue as are the door jams.  I have noticed this and thought it a little unusual, but never gave it any further thought as so much of the rest of the car is original.  The same fellow who pointed window shades told me that the horizontal surfaces in the egg carton grill were painted black and that was not how they came from the factory- they should be gray.   Also, the inside of the “spear” trim running down the side of the car is also black.

So, my 3 1955 Imperial originality-related questions are:

  1. Were the stainless window shades a factory option in 1955 or a dealer add-on?  Are they rare?
  2. What color steering wheel should my car have?
  3. Were the inside horizontal parts of the grill of the ’55 black or gray?  How about the inside/middle portion of the side trim on the car?

Any and all insight appreciated!

Jim Poltrock

1955 Imperial sedan

42k