Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 2:49 AM
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: IML: 1968 Crown Up For Sale

The 440 Dual option was not an engine package as such, but a standard 440
with the addition of a dual snorkel air cleaner and dual exhaust. The
horsepower rating for this option raised the standard figure from 350 to
360. The high performance 440 TNT/Magnum/Super Commando differed in these
areas as applied to C-bodies in '68:(Imperial now being a C-body) Carter
carb #4429S in place of Holley, H.D. valve springs, special cam, 268-284-68
in place of standard cam 256-260-32, dual point distributor instead of
single points, upswept exhaust manifolds instead of log type and a windage
tray for the oil pan. This engine was available for any C-body except
Imperials and wagons; which also had the standard 440 twin snorkel/exhaust
option. This was a one year only deal for the Imperial ('68) but was a wagon
option for many years. Chrysler never even bothered to note the option
raised the gross h.p. by 10 in wagon literature but hyped it up in the
Imperial catalog. What a shame the 375 horse 440 was not an option-it sure
should have been. It is my feeling that with the typical fastidious Imperial
owner, the twin snorkel/exhaust thing may fly under his radar, but the
rumpity-rump 375 horse cam would have been too much! BTW- v.i.n. code for
350/360 horse 440- K vs. L for 375 horse 440.

Eric S.
'65 Crown