From: David Wilker <wilkerbeast01@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Johnemory@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 7:33 pm
Subject: Re: IML: Springs n things

You can buy an angle finder, and use it to compare the angle of your
transmission centerline and the pinion shaft. They should be the same. There should be some deflection in the u-joints, so that they "work" as they go
through 360 degrees, but not excessivly so.

David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)

---- Johnemory@xxxxxxx wrote:
Paul W. wrote:

<Also, if you rear end is sitting too high, you may have to adjust the
drive shaft angle. Does this car vibrate on acceleration at around 30
to 40 mph? If so, that is why. There usually are shims under the
mounting for the drive shaft center bearing, and also at the rear axle
support struts. These need to be added or subtracted in order to obtain
the correct angle. The procedure is outlined in the FSM>

Actually, it does vibrate around 30 to 40. I've long thought the drive shaft
and/or u-joints were to blame. After having the u-joints re-done, the
vibration seemed to lessen, maybe because I adjusted the shims on the center
carrier
when I re-installed the shafts. I guess more adjustment there and at the rear
axle struts is in order.

John
New Mexico