From: Joe Strickland <jwstrick426@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 10:27 am
Subject: IML: Safety issues on pulling tapered axle drums

Paul wrote;

The safety of this isn't the number of legs attached to the puller,
but
rather being certain that the axle nut is installed to keep the drum
from suddenly breaking free from the car with high force.

That is probably the most important aspect of the task, but keeping the pressure applying bolt properly centered is another important issue. The one Jim Payne and I worked with years ago had two problems in trying to remove the drums from a '61. It only had 3 attachment arms and was not really made for a 5 1/2 inch bolt center pattern. This caused the center pressure bolt of the puller to get off center with the axle shaft. That put unequal pressure on the arms of the puller too. I believe keeping equal pressure distribution is important also. By having 5 arms, one for each lug stud, the forces will be evenly distributed
and help keep things under better control.

Paul makes a good point in that you certainly do not want to stand directly in front of the drum while doing the work. Having the bolt in place but loosened about 1/8 of an inch or so will help keep things from flying across the room.
Any on-lookers should also be cautioned to stand well to one side.

Joseph W. Strickland
1021 Vaughan Lane
Tioga, TX 76271-2937