Re: IML: IML MTSC - Dan's classroom assignment? Homework

Re: IML: IML MTSC - Dan's classroom assignment? Homework

MTSC is more theory than year-specific.

You can go back to the 1940's and learn fundamentals
that apply to your car, since each booklet is only
14-16 pages and digests quickly.

Trivia Question:
=========================
When you let the clutch out with your foot still
firmly on the brake on a manual transmission car, the
engine dies.  Not so on an automatic-equipped car.

WHY?

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/012A/index.htm

This question is a good one to whip out and slap your
other car buddies around with, since without the "Fan"
example, it's almost impossible to guess or deduce
using logic.

The compressor on your car is almost the same from
1959(?) through the early 1970's.  You will find minor
differences in plumbing fixtures/clutch pack/layout
from year to year, with more stability by the early
1960's.  Otherwise they are the same.

Called an "RV2" compressor, they are currently rebuilt
by a company called Ranshu in Texas or some such
place.

Got something you want to know about?

Scroll forwards first (since they'd train to repair
your car AFTER it was bought and was entering the
dealership for service) and then forward, anhead of
your car.  2 years on either side is almost always a
slam dunk except when there were major changes, like
the switch from the generator to alternator or the
abandonment of the beloved Dual Platform Brakes from
the late 1950's/early 60's.

1966 is a bit of a cliff with a steep drop-off, since
1967 was such a radical design departure - frame,
brakes, wheels were all totally different, so there's
lots different.  Trim, rear decklid construction,
wood, shift linkage and a bump to 440 are the main
differences from 65, and that's not that big a deal
when it comes to how things are laid out/how to wrench
on them.

==================================

Dan, your assignment is to find one MTSC book on a
topic that you know NOTHING about, read it (cover to
cover, my man) and come back and give us a book
report.

How good was it?
What did you learn?

Who knows?  You may find yourself suddenly quaified on
an "exotic" topic.  Guess where I get a lot of my
stuff?

Unlike the FSM, these books are dying to impart
comprehension of theory, not just specifications.

Hot tip: 47-60 are the most flamboyant, with some
particularly un-PC illustrations that are pretty
entertaining.  "Body Sealing" being one that jumps to
mind, and it applies to all cars too!

Anyone else spot something worthwhile?  Please write
in!  Try reading just one cover to cover.  I predict
that you'll be surprised at just how much you pick up.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/index.htm

-K

--- "dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"