RE: IML: anyone ever used dry ice to cool your Imperial? First Car AC

RE: IML: anyone ever used dry ice to cool your Imperial? First Car AC

Hi Dick!
  Just to followup on your as always interesting and
instructional email....

I happened upon this 1933 article from a copy of
Modern Mechanix showing a car AC system installed
under the floor.   It states it was the first Car AC.
Interesting picts of a large 1920's style sedan.
Perhaps an old Imperial???
Jeff

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/05/18/first-air-conditioned-auto/

First Air-Conditioned Auto

With all windows sealed, and a stream of fresh,
filtered air at just the right temperature entering
through a special duct, the world?s first
air-conditioned automobile recently made its debut in
a successful test run on New York City streets. It
demonstrated a remarkable new system that promises
all-the-year-round driving comfort, regardless of
summer heat or winter cold. Air is drawn into this
system through a concealed inlet, filtered to remove
dirt and dust, blown over coils that chill or warm it
as required, and admitted through grills to the car?s
interior. Cooling is effected by a refrigerating
compressor beneath the floor boards, resembling that
of an electric refrigerator, which takes its power
from the car?s generator or may be run from a special
battery. To heat the air, hot water is circulated
through the coils from the car?s radiator. The
air-conditioning equipment may be turned on or off at
will from the instrument board or rear seat. Since the
windows of the car are kept closed, outside noise is
excluded. Any closed car, new or old, may have the
air-conditioning system installed, according to the
New York concern sponsoring the invention, which
expects to manufacture it in the near future at a
sufficiently moderate cost to permit its use even in
low-priced cars. The makers foresee the car of the
future provided with air conditioning as standard
equipment. In that event many of the inconveniences
encountered at present will be removed, along with a
decrease in the danger of suffering carbon-monoxide
poisoning.

--- DickB@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> offer factory airconditioning.  It was an option on
the 1941
> models
>
> Close!  It was 1940, and the option cost about 1/3
> the cost of the car!
> I?ve worked on those systems ? they worked fine, but
> chilled the heck out of
> the owner in the back seat ? the chauffer didn?t get
> much benefit. The only
> control is on the blower speed.  To turn off the
> refrigeration, you had to
> take the belt off the compressor (no clutch).
>
> I believe that Chrysler did introduce Air
> Conditioning, way back in the 20s,
> but that was for buildings, not cars.
>
> They are now claiming in their current ads on TV
> that they also invented or
> first introduced power steering and power brakes ?
> that is not true, as
> Pierce Arrow and Packard had one or the other in
> various models in the 30s.
>
> I really enjoy the current ad campaign, though, it
> shows the 50s Imperials (mandatory content) in a
very good light.