IML: '60-'66 Wheel Size

I don't know about '63 & up, but the '62 Service Manual says the wheel size is 15 X 6L.  I believe '59-'62 are all the same.  Keep in mind that the width across from inner to outer rim on these wheels was designed in the days before radial tires.  Many newer radials have a different cross-sectional shape.  The old bias ply tires in production in the '50s and early '60s had a shape closer to a circle than the new tires being produced today for modern cars and wheels.  Newer tire designs for modern cars often have a "low profile" shape which is more of an oval shape.  This changes the overall diameter of the wheel and tire assembly if you put one on an older car made for bias ply tires.  This could cause the speedometer to not register the correct speed.

You may find a radial tire with either correct or close to correct cross-sectional shape in a 235-75R15 type radial.  There are tires made for antique cars with the older cross-sectional shape.  Check with a tire vendor and have them explain how these characteristics affect the handling of the car.  I have had 235-75R15 tires on some of the cars I owned in the late '60s and had no problems with them.  Radial tires are safer at higher speeds and also have lower rolling friction.  Check on Michelin radials for your car.

Joseph W. Strickland
1021 Vaughan Lane
Tioga, TX 76271-2937