IML: Exhaust Heat Riser Spring & Rotation

IML: Exhaust Heat Riser Spring & Rotation

>From: "Roger Casagrande" <rdc2382@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: IML: Heat riser rotation?
>
>I always thought it was a bi-metallic spring. It's long so that the
>temperature change will cause a curve great enough to rotate the valve. If
>anyone is in the mood, remove the spring and heat it separately. If it is
>bi-metallic, the spring will unwind just due to the temperature change
>alone.
>
>Roger

Roger;

The spring that rotates the exhaust riser valve is bi-metallic on all Imperials that have one.  See the Repair section on the club website for details and also look at service manuals on the club website for the year of your car.  They give the details on how they work, how to service them etc.  A "clock spring" would be useless on a heat riser valve since it would not have any provision for opening the valve after the engine exhaust manifold passage rose to operating temperature.  If a clock spring had enough tension to open the exhaust valve, it would remain open at all times and there would be no benefit to cold engine driveability.

Joseph W. Strickland
1021 Vaughan Lane
Tioga, TX 76271-2937