Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 7:01 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: Imperial Display

Tuesday, August 14th, was the day for the first Carmel-By-the-Sea
Concours on the Avenue, a major event put on by Doug Freedman, a major
event promoter.  Tuesday, of course, was early in the week of all the
major events leading to the Pebble Beach Concours on Sunday, the 19th.
We were fortunate to learn of this event and entered my 60 Imperial cvt,
and our 60 Chrysler 300F hardtop.  The Imperial was placed in the
American Luxury Class and the F in the Muscle Car Class.

Also in the class with my car was a 1957 Imperial Southampton 2 door
hdtp owned by William M. O'Brien, and a 1959 IMperial Crown Convertible
owned by William Madden of Asheville, North Carolina.  The restoration
had just been completed, black with a tan interior.  Really an
outstanding restoration and a real crowd favorite.  Timo Tinskanen was
responsible for the resto. and he was there at the show.  So, THREE
beautiful Imperials displayed at a really impressive show.  I was very
proud to see Imperials getting the praise and the exposure they
deserve.   A 53 Cad El dorado cvt,, a 55 Cad El dorado cvt, a 49 bright
red Packard cvt, another beautifully restored car,  a black 47 Cadillac
Sedanette(fastback) that was so fresh and original looking, and it was
billed as being an original, unrestored car, and a 1959 Oldsmobile four
door hdtop with 22,000 original miles and it is amazingly "as new".

As it turned out, the 59 Imperial received first in class honors and my
60 cvt received the third place awards.  Awards were large, medium, and
small engraved circular trays from Tiffany's.  This is to inform not
brag, though I was very, very happy to get an award at all competing
with cars in that class.  My car is now a three year old restoration and
it is no longer a trailer queen.  I drive it to shows now so there is
wear here and there.  Second went to the 59 Olds which also received the
Best Original trophy.

Later I was really bowled over when my car received one of the "major
awards" and I got to drive up across the platform to receive the
trophy.  Now, get this--the award was for "the automobile that best
represents the era when American cars turned heads around the world" and
named the Erik T. Bethel American Excellence Award.  I didn't meet nor
do I know who Erik T. Bethel is but most likely a major sponsor of the
event.

So, everyone, all of us as proud Imperial Owners, we own and drive cars
that we know are "head turners", but it certainly is great news to have
this recognized by judges at a major concours.  Aren't you proud?  I
am,  certainly because my car was chosen for the award, but really
moreso that our wonderful, eccentric, wildly beautiful, etc., etc cars
are recognized and receiving well deserved praise for the great cars
they are!!!!!

We plan to show cars there next year if get accepted.  Hope so.  The
show is Tuesday, August 12th, 2008, in Carmel by the Sea, right in the
middle of town on Ocean Avenue stretching about 6 blocks or so.  If
you're around that part of  California around then, plan on seeing the
show.  It covered cars form the 40s, 50s, 60s(American Family
Favorites), American Sport--Corvette, British and European Family
Favorites, British and European Luxury Class, British Sport, German
Sport, Historic Race, Hot rod, Micro Car, and a few more, so definitely
something for most everyone.  Also a class celebrating the 50th
Anniversary of 1957 Cars which included a Mercury Colony Park wagon, and
a Pontiac Chieftain  4 dr wagon(not a Safari)

Yes, I have rambled on and many of you gave up reading long ago., but I
wanted to give a sense of what kind of special, grand show it was
especially since Imperials were so prominently featured and recognized.

Henry Hopkins