From: Klebert L. Hall <crocuta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 7:23 am
Subject: Re: IML: Perplexed about '64 conv. boots mismatch to car

From: RCAJazz1@xxxxxxx

Hi all,

The two (left and right) molded plastic boots dressing the top when
it's
down, that came with the car (I assume originally) are correct in
their
overall fit, have the round Imperial emblem and match the white >
upholstery. But
when I try to snap them on, they don' match the snap hardware built
into > the car.
They're maybe a quarter inch or more OFF. Don't see how hard plastic pieces  could have shrunk or expanded, and certainly the permanent receiving
snaps > on
the car haven't moved.

Also, the vinyl "tonneau" cover - if that's the right word - that
covers > the
folded top when it's down, between the boots, and snaps into place on
a > chrome
molding on the body, is off. The snaps on the cover are generally 5
1/2"
apart, yet the snaps on the car molding are generally 5"
apart...expansion > of the
cover??

Or do I have the wrong boots and wrong cover for 64-66 convertibles? Perhaps  earlier year? Later year series? Or something else? Appreciate any >
answers.

  Hard plastics do shrink (as do soft plastics), from outgassing of volatiles - look at what happens to old steering wheels, for further evidence. I expect this is the problem you have here. I expect that the answer os replacement with reproductions - I don't know who might make them, but the list is a very deep repository of knowledge. I expect someone will have the answer.
  -Kle.
  '69 Crown 4DHT (on the bench)