Beating on the drums is a no-no, unless you live in South Aftica (Was: R

Beating on the drums is a no-no, unless you live in South Aftica (Was: RE: IML: Re-installing brake drums on '62)

1. Verify that the adjusters are showing no thread at all. If so,  they are
set to the minimum length they can achieve.

2. Next, look at the tops of the shoes, where they fit up against the top
pin - they must be tight up against the pin.  If they are not, the wheel
cylinders or some mechanical obstruction are holding the brakes in the
partly applied position.

3. Pull out on the shoes, compressing the hold down springs and then wiggle
the shoes left and right to make sure they are not hung up in the structure
of the backing plate.

4. If they still won't snuggle up against the top pin, open the bleeder
valve on the back of the wheel cylinder and let the pressure off (fluid will
squirt out).

5.  If you've done all that, and still the drum won't slide on easily, there
is too much lining thickness on the shoes, they will have to come off and be
ground to fit your drums.

This is not a time to use a BF hammer.

Dick Benjamin