IML: Thickness of '62 brake linings

After fellow member Brooks Harkey came by yesterday, I agreed to check the thickness of the new brake linings on the rear brake shoes.  The factory service manual states that the nominal thickness after dealer installed bonded linings is to be ground to 0.170".  My measurements this morning shows the lining thickness on the re-lined brake shoes is 0.285" which is 0.115" oversize for each shoe which collectively adds up to 0.230" oversize.  That is nearly a quarter of an inch too much lining material!

That explains why I had so much trouble getting the drums back in place.  I will be using the sander I have on hand later today to get them down to the recommended size.

It also explains why the brakes were smoked when I drove the car home from the dealership over 10 years ago.  They did not have the arcing equipment and just installed the re-lined shoes as-is.  Now I can have some confidence that I will be able to get the shoes and drums installed and working as they should.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice, suggestions and help!

Joe

Joseph W. Strickland
1021 Vaughan Lane
Tioga, TX 76271-2937