From: randalpark@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Heat riser rotation?
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 21:03:16 -0400

I wasn't going to jump back into this either.
Now it seems to have gotten off track.

When the engine is off, the heat riser valve is
closed (unless it is stuck open). When you rev
the engine, the force of the exhaust opens the
valve. Shut the car off, and it closes again,
hot or cold. Heat decreases the amount of
resistance in the spring. Unless the counter
weight has slipped, or someone has fooled
around with it, the valve is closed when the
longer flat portion of the counter weight is
facing you, looking down on it. If the valve is
working, watch it in action when you rev the
engine.

Also, if its working, why not allow it to work
and leave it alone, except to lubricate it once
in a while.

Paul W.