Re: IML: When is it original?

I see the term 'original' bantered around quite a bit in advertisements in publications, on the net and by many at car events. Obviously, it must mean different things to different individuals. Would a vehicle be considered 'original' if all the parts that were replaced over the years were OEM? I mean, it still looks the way it did (even under the hood) when it left the factory if all the parts are OEM. To me it would be. But that's me.

Over the years I've been asked if my collector cars are 'original'. My answer is usually that some are more original than others in that some have had less restoration done than others. For instance, my '65 Imperial Crown convertible is far less 'original' in that it has been restored from stem to stern. It did not lead a pampered life like others in the collection and needed a lot of restoration in all areas. My '66 Eldorado still has its original leather seat covers and they are supple and soft like a favorite pair of shoes but other parts are new (OEM, but still new)! Other cars I have still have their original paint. I have a '70 Continental Mark III that was repainted its original color (Metallic Ginger) in '76. All the parts on it are either the original ones put on at the factory or replacements from the Lincoln dealer. Still has the factory installed carpet, leather seats and vinyl top in excellent condition! Would this car be considered original? AACA would accept it as long as it was the color it was painted at the factory (they want the cars competing in their events to be 'factory original'-as they were when they left the factory. Others would argue the repaint (done over 30 years ago) disqualifies it from truly being considered 'original'.

As I said, the term 'original' means different things to different people. In my case, original' or totally restored, I love all my cars for their own individuality (style, color, ride experience, etc.) and would not part with any of them.

Greg McDonnell
Mobile, AL