IML: heater hose clamps valve 69

I am replacing the heater hoses in my 69 LeBaron. The hoses which connect at the firewall looked original and were very brittle.

My question is are there different qualities of heater hoses and what is the best and where can I get it?

I have some Goodyear 5/8" 16 mm heater hose from Autozone which seems pretty thin.  Is this good or is there better?

I would also like to get some good clamps. I have the original clamps which I do not like and do not want to re use. One looked fine, but broke as I touched it.

Is there a design that is better than the standard hose clamp?

I hope to never have to replace these hoses at the firewall again, but if I that need arises, I want to make it so you can do it without removing the inner fender!

Also, my heater control valve defaults to the open position when removed from the car. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Fred Joslin