RE: IML: heater hose clamps valve 69

Dick has some good points on the hose and clamps, however if one was to use a heater hose that was more re-inforced (thicker and stiffer) than the original, the wire clamp may not be able to compress the hose enough to seal at higher cooling system pressures. We had that problem on some cars, the screw drive clamp did it.Dave.

From: <DickB@xxxxxxxxx>

There are definitely different quality levels to heater hose.  If you go to the NAPA store and ask, they will show you at least 3 different grades.  The good stuff is about 3 times as expensive as the stuff at AutoZone, but it will probably last the life of your car.   The brand of the hose isn?t what is important, because most brands make various quality items to cover all markets. Generally, the stuff sold in the less expensive auto parts places is their lowest quality line, and NAPA is no exception ? they?ve got the cheap stuff too. The difference with them is that they also supply the trade and the heavy duty truck busin esses, so they have to have the good stuff too.  This is especially noticeable for this sort of parts ? they carry the stuff they need to compete with the Auto-Zones and the Kragens, but they also can sell you the right stuff for a collector car.

As for hose clamps, you?ll get as many opinions on that as the people you ask.  Most folks are using the screw type hose clamps because they are so easy to use, and do not require any special tool or technique to use.  BUT ? the original spring type has a very significant advantage ? it stays tight even when the hose shrinks and expands during use and due to age, because it is a spring, not a fixed size like the stainless steel screw drive type so popular now.  As most folks will agree, those loosen up with age ? and you?ll find a leak seeping out from under the hose ends sooner or later with those, especially on hose lines the carry really thin fluids like gas, but also sometimes on cooling lines too.  For that reason, I recommend the original type clamps.  They are readily available from wholesale hardware outfits like McMaster-Carr, although you have to buy them in large quantities.  Buy a selection of each size used on your car and you?ll never need to buy another new hose clamp!   You also need the special tool to install them easily.  You can do it with large pliers, but they will slip and fly across the room or into your eye, so I recommend the best tool you can buy (Snap-On), or at least a quality brand such as sold at a good mechanic?s supply house (read NAPA again!).

Dick Benjamin