Re: IML: 61 Imperial Useless Trivia (some 57/58 too)

Re: IML: 61 Imperial Useless Trivia (some 57/58 too)

This type of thing happens all the time.  Assembly plants buy their hardware from more than one source.  You may have one barrell of bolts on one side of the car and another barrell on the other so the guy on the right is using different stock then than the guy on the left.  Having used three '60 parts cars to restore my Crown I could write a long list of differences.  You should see the list of changes I could name that occured during the Korean war on GM cars.  As stuff went from chrome to painted metal to plastic to decals on steel, changes were ongoing.

Richard Burgess
'60 Imperial

Ken Miller <kdmiller44@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I guess it really doesn't matter, but where else can things like this be
posted?

I am reassembling my 61 rear deck area trim and attempted to bolt in the
taillights. Somewhere along the line, one of the two nuts for the right
hand assembly came up missing. I removed a nut from my spare 61
taillight and found that the half-inch socket I had used to tighten the
other three nuts wouldn't fit (after being on my back for a while in an
ungodly position [especially for an old man like me]). It turns out
that at some time and for some reason, Chrysler changed the head size on
the nut from half-inch to 9/16. Why, I'll guess we'll never know.

It reminds me that I found that they used machine screws to hold in the
turn-signal switch on the 57 while the 58 switched to self-tapping. I
guess it saved some money to stop tapping holes in that unit so I can
understand that change.

Ken Miller
61 and 67 Converts